Thursday, January 26, 2006

Wireless? Bollocks more like.

I've finally given up on my piece of shit wireless router. NEVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM US ROBOTICS. It basically hasn't worked since I bought it a couple of years ago, keeps dropping the signal. I think it's something wrong with the DHCP server in it, but I've tried every configuration under the sun, and nothing works. Sometimes it'll go for days no problems, then all of a sudden will keep dropping the signal all evening, even after the constant unplug and restart routine that I sometimes doll out to annoying users at work.

And no I didn't call tech support. I don't think it would be boasting to say I know more about this stuff then they do. My basil plant knows more about 802.11g then they do. Oh yeah, don't buy this!

Anyway, after nearly throwing the fucking thing at a wall I decided to get a new router. A lot of support forums I looked at recommended Netgear, so I'm gonna get this. Actually, many people who had the same problem with the US Robotics Turd Box (USR8054) said that the only way to fix it was throw the piece of crap in the bin. And that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Hahahaha. And you told me that the only rerason why my wireless router kept on not working was because I was a moron who didn't understand anything and it's all very simple.

Wireless routers are the crappest thing in the universe. They actually just don't work. Even Chris had the IT dept. of his work try to set some up in his office, and guess what? Didn't ever work properly. The technology just isn't there yet.
Oh look, a word verification to fill in. How unannoying!

Anon said...

Netgear's gonna fuck you over just like US Robotics. Just get a wire.

Pete said...

I've had fairly good experiences with Linksys kit, which is fairly cheap, endearingly plastic-industrial looking and moderately hackable. The firmware seems less crappy than most of the others available. Mine is a WAG54G-UK, which unfortunately seems to be discontinued.

We've had D-Link and US Robotics wireless APs blow up on us after a year or less. I wouldn't touch either of those with a pole.

Wire is a good choice considering the size of your flat.

Will said...

See I wouldn't actually mind using wire, except the it's got to travel all the way from the Homechoice box (by the TV) to my bedroom. Which means either a wire along the skirting board, or drill holes in walls. Neither are pretty.

Looks like one of my neighbours got wireless for xmas, as they're on the same channel as me. Buggers. That may explain the shiteness yesterday.

I'll keep you all posted on how the Netgear turns out.

Jamie said...

Netgear are turds. Fact.

In the words of Ronseal, DON'T COME CRYING TO ME WHEN YOUR ROOF LEAKS...

Or more to the point, your wireless network collapses.

Will said...

Well this time if it plays up I'm sending it right back. Then I'd maybe go for a linksys.

And if that doesn't work I'll have to cough up hundreds of pounds for a Cisco beauty.