Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Pah

Some woman got a mention in the Metro today just because she's travelling to Australia, but not by air. What a crock. That was my idea (inasmuch as it was floating around in my head but I hadn't told anyone yet). What I'd like to do is go around the world by land and sea - going all through Europe, east across Russia, down through Beijing and Indonesia, Papua New Guinea and then circle Australia, head over to South America, go up the west coast (via the Galapagos of course), through Central America then the USA and Canada, before catching a boat back to Blighty from the east coast of Canada. Means I have to go through the French part though, yuk.

I don't have any particular aversion to air travel, I fly often enough that I tend to forget about worrying about plane crashes, but I feel that you do really miss out on the whole aspect of distance and just how far you've gone from where you started. Plus it's bad for the environment, yadda yadda yadda.

It'll probably never happen, or I'll maybe only do a part of it, but still - IT WAS MY IDEA FIRST. Or perhaps Michael Palin's.

11 comments:

bagelmouse said...

Or Jules Verne.

When I go to St Petersburg I want to do it by train from Finland. Of course, how I get to Finland is still up for debate. Or when.

You know.

bagelmouse said...

And now I have the theme tune to the cartoon version of 80 Days Around the World in my head.

Thanks.

kate said...

helsinki is well cool, i definitely recommend finland.

Tim said...

Being a boat in rough seas is a sight scarier than being on an aeroplane. Plus it lasts longer.
And it won't always be the nice big luxury boats of DFDS either.

Tim said...

That band was Nosferatu D2.

Tim said...

That should read 'being on a boat' although being a boat in rough seas would be a fucking nightmare.

Anonymous said...

will this is ward, if you come to usa, you have to stop in st.louis, be nice to cya!!
ward

Will said...

isn't that in misery?

Will said...

ah but Tim there are only small stretches of water involved, except from Oz to S America and N America to the UK again.

That's what people forget, we're mostly linked by land anyway.

Will said...

well whatever you do don't fly to St Petersburg

Aeroflot strikes again

bagelmouse said...

Jesus... many years ago we flew to Bulgaria with some Bulgarian airline that was using old Aeroflot planes. The seat allocated to my Dad wasn't there...