Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Tony Blair is just such a cock

See here. And I note that there's only been real debate on climate change since the Stern Review said it might be economically damaging if we didn't do something about it. How about it being damaging to my lungs when I'm breathing in the rising seawater in London, whilst all around me is turning into a desert? Tony wants scientists to come up with an answer in the future. Hope is not a strategy.

If I was running the country I'd double the costs of long haul flights, and triple for short haul. 100% of this extra revenue would then be invested in subsidising other means of transport (rail and ferries mainly). This would have to be done with a tax (like they already have) otherwise the operators would just keep all the extra cash money. This also means that any overseas airlines wanting to fly into the UK would have to stump up the extra as well.

What I wouldn't do is allow rail fares to rise extortionately year on year so it's way cheaper to fly or drive than take the train.

People only fly because it's quick. So what I'd do is invest in some kickass Maglev railways. I predict that in 50-100 years from now this will be the preferred mode of transport for long journeys. All the oil will have run out by then anyway, so it's either that or hot-air balloon.

"It's like telling people you shouldn't drive anywhere"

- Tony Blair

Is it? You fucking plum.

No comments: