Friday, May 04, 2007

Annoyance

Maybe I'm just bitter because I have no qualifications but I'm getting increasingly fed up when people put theirs into their email signature. I deal with a lot of technical people and I'd rather just assume you probably have some idea of what you're talking about, otherwise you wouldn't be in your job. I can generally sense pretty quickly if you are full of shit, but telling me which exams you've sat isn't going to sway me one way or the other.

You've got an MCSE? Big fucking deal. Now I know I can't talk to you about anything non-Microsoft.

CISSP? You've been doing the same job for too long (prereq is 4 years in the field) so I'm going to assume your mind has turned to jelly and you're not really on the ball.

BSC? Seriously, someone had this in the email signature today. Why would anyone care what you did at uni? You could have done sociology for all I know. Shall I put my a-level results on mine?

CCNA/CCNP/CCIE? Actually these are the don of network certification and my hats off to all who've got these. There's always exceptions to a rule. I know a CCIE and he blows anyone else out of the water when discussing networking. I still haven't got my CCNA because I've been very lazy arranging a resit, plus networking is now only about 15% of my job, so the drive's not there so much.

Anyway, maybe I'm also a bit peeved that there's no qualification I can do that mirrors my job. I'd need to do a CCNA, CCDA, MCSE, CISSP, CISM and probably some others, but who's got the time for all that? I think delegation's the way forward anyway...

3 comments:

bagelmouse said...

Did you ever watch "We Are History", the Marcus Brigstocke spoof of history programmes? It tickled me to death that the title card of the presenter made the point of saying he was a BA. Aren't qualifications only relevant when you're doing a regulated job, like medicine, denistry, accountancy, law? I WANT to know my solictor has the correct qualifications. I couldn't give a toss if the guy fixing my computer did a course so long as he makes it work... cos it won't kill me/lose me all my money/get me jailed if he fucks it up.

*sigh*

Will said...

Although I don't think you're legally allowed to practise those professions unless you have the qualifications, so either they're breaking the law, or they're not. And criminals have a habit of lying so would probably think nothing of saying they have qualifications that they don't. So all in all, saying you've got qualifications - effectively meaningless.

bagelmouse said...

Still nice to be reminded that people are supposed to have qualifications... plus it reminds me to go look them up on the relevant body's website. (Yes, I do do that. Did someone say the word 'anal'?)