Friday, May 11, 2007

Jobs

So cheesed off am I at the moment at my current job I'm going to speculatively apply for some others. I say speculative as in a) I don't know where I want to be in 6/9 months and b) chances are, if they don't pay me at least in the region of what I get today I won't bother because of a).

I saw some pretty interesting (if slightly vague) positions up for grabs at the DWP. I'm having difficulty deciding which one to go for but I'm thinking that since it's only speculative, better to apply for something I think might be slightly out of my reach, as opposed to something too similar to what I do now. I wonder if I can apply for 2 jobs with them? Maybe I'll ask when I get an application form. But anyway, current thinking is that I'll go for the Business & Strategy Architect or the Strategy Planner.

I don't have enough experience to be a Security Architect, and to be honest, it bores me too much.

PETER
I, uh, I don't like my job. I don't
think I'm gonna go anymore.

JOANNA
You're just not gonna go?

PETER
Yeah.

JOANNA
Won't you get fired?

PETER
I don't know. But I really don't like it so I'm not gonna go.

JOANNA
So you're gonna quit?

PETER
No, no, not really. I'm just gonna stop going.
From Office Space.

5 comments:

bagelmouse said...

The CSA? Are you crazy?! That's in the middle of massive upheaval because they realised it doesn't work, so everyone there will be totally demoralised and hating all the changes. Plus, it's the civil service so a) they won't pay anywhere near what you're used to and b) the bureaucracy will drive you crazy.

Stick to the private sector. Trust me...

Kate said...

Yeah what Rach says. If you go into the public sector on that kind of project, you'll never get out again. Ever. It will ruin your CV. Seriously. Are there no private sector jobs out there that you fancy? There must be some, surely?

PS. Can I have my OU texts back please?!

Will said...

or it could be a great opportunity working with a wholly new team brought in specifically to build a new system from scratch.

You think I don't know about bureaucracy?... You just have to deal with it wherever you are.

and £38k to £51k doesn't sound too unreasonable.

bagelmouse said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. No, really, the CSA is a shambles, and all government IT projects are a laughing stock. It'll taint you forever more... seriously, give it as wide a berth as possible!

Will said...

hmm, well they're in Newcastle and the job descriptions make no sense whatsoever. Think I'll skip this one.