Friday, January 11, 2008

Check up

When you don't have any money, the problem is food. When you have money, it's sex. When you have both it's health.
J P Donleavy

I've always thought it rather perverse that we have regular dental checkups, but not health ones. Why would we consider our teeth more important than, say, our hearts? And surely the more effort is spent on preventative health care the better we'd all be in the long run? Anyway, I just got the detailed results of a private medical I had and it's quite reassuring in a lot of aspects. My cholesterol is 4.5 (good). My platelet count is 252 (good). My mean corpuscular hemoglobin count is 33.7 (elevated but not significant). Cool. My 10 year risk of heart disease is 3% - exactly the average for my age group.

There are a couple of things I need to follow up, but hopefully it's nothing to be concerned about. I get paranoid sometimes about my health, with actually no tangible reason to. I think the quote above rings true. Anyway, I heartily recommend it for anyone with any niggling health worries. Be warned though, they're very thorough...

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Rub it in you cunt

;)

However, I do agree whole heartedly. Although the issue is that the NHS doesn't do these full on health checks, so the poorest people, with statistically the worst health suffer.

Anyway, don't panic, everyone's results are always "slightly" this or that.